Friday, January 8, 2010

Personal assessment ???

 I am not sure what you are looking for Mr. Denvy but I hate to miss a deadline. Se here is my personal reflection and assessment of blogs and technology as a whole for that matter.
 
 



What if this "disconnection" that so many people are talking about is actually not real? I love learning about the brain and so I was drawn to this short video. It would be interesting to me if there are any thoughts on how we communicate without realizing it using mirror neurons. I am watching Transformers 2 and I feel what I am not a part of, the movie. Through the sight and sound I virtually experience something I am not really a part of. Blogs have a different sort of ability. I believe they provide another type of virtual reality. Think of people who have phantom pain when they lose body parts. They are no less real to the one feeling the pain. When you watch the movie, you don't feel less feeling of sadness or fear, love or hate. What draws people to anything, I believe, is that it (whatever it may be) fills in us or relates to us. The technology of music, the pounding of the drums and the words that we sing... don't they usually correlate to what mood we are in? When I am angry or hurt, I listen to Metallica. When I am just being, I listen to George Winston, a pianist. Does any of this resonate with anyone? There are all types of blogs that feed the needs of all types of people.

2 comments:

  1. Airin, first off, thanks so much for your thoughts on "inventory." It was very helpful to me and I was feeling a little confident about understanding what you were identifying until it came down to the last paragraph. But I am making progress and that is a "change" in the right direction.

    Loved your take on "disconnection." I myself was very anti technology at first, some of it due to my age and my ignorance of the tools. I kept thinking to myself there is no way. I didn't even want to email, let alone text. I much preferred the sound of the persons voice on the other end of the phone and found the whole thing so impersonal. I have learned to appreciate the convenience and immediacy. "Snail mail" still holds its merit of being more personal, but cant beat email for efficiency mostly in terms of time effectiveness.

    I think I am digressing, what I want to say where I really connected was when you started related these connections to music. Totally feel that. Music has always been for me a way to either "set the tone" are support the mood as you had put it. I have used music in the classroom during writing time, piano and or strings. Athletes use "pump me up" music before games or calming music; whichever suits their need and purpose and helps them to come in tune with their body, mind and purpose. Music is used in film to create suspense, fear sadness joy and so on. As an audience we are totally drawn into its power yet that music is not in a "relationship" with us. For that matter that is what literature does. Readers select material based on their need; to be informed, to "get away" to get inspired. Interesting stuff.

    So if I look at the blog, in this light, I am less indifferent or negative towards it. It can be an artistic choice. Which type of creative form of expression will I choose to engage in. This choice will be dependent on my mood and my needs at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, Thank you for your response. I am glad that I could offer a different way to view things that made sense to you. That is the big idea, as far as I can see, all of the new technology allows for that same connection or ability to connect based on the needs of the consumer. It is all in a different format and if unfamiliar can be frightening.

    One thing that is for sure, once you learn that you can play online to learn, it becomes less intimidating. Just be sure to use protection.

    ReplyDelete