Saturday, January 16, 2010

Professional Opinions Wanted

Maybe a blog can be a way to share disguised information to be able to problem solve difficult situations that are in need of some extra minds. For example:


"It takes a village to raise a child."

This is a real case. The name was changed to protect the child's identity.  True feedback would be supremely appreciated.

Most have heard this potent message.  So in thinking of the brain rules I have a request for advice and feedback. Teachers... Students... Parents... Adults... Children...

After looking at the brain rules again I was refreshed and found possible answer to a problem that I have been struggling with since "John", a child I volunteer with (regular respite care) started middle school.

To put it gently, VERY GENTLY, it didn't go well AT ALL!  "John" has cerebral palsy, brain damage that leaves one half of his body partially paralyzed. "John" has above average intelligence and exceptional problem solving skills.  However, recently he decided that he was interested in attending physical and occupational therapy so his disability would be less noticeable to his peers. Also, since starting his transition into adulthood he has struggled with tardies, fights, inappropriate comments and profanity and all sorts of behavior problems.

There is a medication that is linked to helping the damaged neurons to fire as though they were normal and healthy.  It was prescribed over Christmas break. Prior to break his tardies were in every class multiple times a week. Since returning to school after the break the only tardy he holds is in his first period. So getting to school on time is the issue. The medicine seems to be helping but I do not believe it is a cure or an end to the issue.Since starting that new medication he is able to maintain focus enough to make it to his other classes on time. Hurray!!! It is wonderful to see him take pleasure in meeting expectations.

Knowing that the semesters are about to change in two more weeks, I would like to propose to the staff that we take away one of his electives and he starts school at the beginning of the 2nd period bell (no longer having a graded first period. In fact having no first period at all.) Every day, instead, I will attend a yoga class together with him at the Kroc Center which will increase our face-to-face connection time, give him a relaxing exercise to start off the day (which hopefully will allow for him to carry that throughout the day), increase his attention to detail from an authority in a non-threatening way, relieve stress from the previous day or from dreams in the night, and include sensory input that is desperately needed for his atrophied muscles. As a bonus that will allow me to drive him to school ensuring that he is on time for his first class of the day.

I believe this will help build upon the success he has worked so hard for over all of this time. It sounds like the school is willing to give it a go at the turn of the new term.

Feedback? Thoughts? Ideas? Concerns?
Ok, Hit me with your best shot. Fire Away!

3 comments:

  1. When I was a teacher in training,one of the mentor teachers I was priviledged to work with truly believed in the power of sensory integration in learning and its abilitly to boost brain "readiness." She started each day with a mini yoga lesson. She said that most kids of course "complained" or "giggled" through the first week or so; but that eventually they grew to appreciate it and became better at the meditation portions of this excercise. It took about 2.5 minutes to do (This was a third grade class). The stood beside their desks and did some beginning balance poses, meditation and basic stretching that could be done safely in the space beside their desks. I was amazed at the progress as I started with her from the beginning of the year until November. Classroom magaement issues were reduced as kids began to "buy into" and utilize this morning yoga routine effectively. I applaud your efforts and innovation in helping this child. It definitely couldn't hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If John is willing, it sounds like a wonderful idea! My only concern is that John might want to continue this after you're teaching or not available to volunteer. How long would he do this if this semester is successful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am willing to commit to a long-term resource. From the bottom of my heart I believe that humans learn best through a REAL connection with another human. Sometimes that happens face-to-face, sometimes by talking on the phone or typing through email. The truth about me is that as an educator I work for them like I would work for my children. They each deserve an advocate, someone to love them as they are, someone to make a committment to them. Maybe that is why my students still seek me out now that I have left their school. They find me on Facebook and add me. It may not be best practice for educators to add their students while they are teaching, but I see no reason to not stay connected after our professional time is over.

    I want the best for John and he needs someone to commit to him. He deserves to know that he deserves that and so much more.

    ReplyDelete